Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Garry Bjorklund 2013

In my preparation for the Garry Bjorklund this year, I tried joining the Duluth Running Company training group. With my solid PR I set two years ago, and the inevitable aging process I figured it would be a chance worth trying to see if I could coax a little more speed out of my running. The biggest advantage I found from the group was the incentive to get out early in the season when the weather was crappy because I knew there was a group waiting. 

Race Day

As race day dawned, the weather looked good. Not too hot and no headwind. My goal was to go out around 7:10 pace as my PR is right at 7:11 pace. As I waited for the start it was nice to chat with everyone I knew who was running. I have never been much for warming up, so it was a nice way to pass the time. As the start edged closer, I downed my gel and lined up with the 7:00 minute area towards the lake side. 

I got off to a solid start and felt good right away. My first few mile splits were low 7:00's with mile three being in the high 6:50's. I tried to back it off ever so slightly to make sure I was not going to crash at Lemon Drop Hill.  The middle few miles were right at 7:05 to 7:10 so I was happy. 

London Road

As we headed down London Road, a large group of college age girls started slowly passing me. They were a group of CC runners. At the same time I was passing a younger guy.  Everyone was chatting and I heard the guy was a senior at East. As the ladies pulled away, I tried to convince him to stay with them. He just did not have it in him. Too bad. 

Moment of Truth

Lemon Drop Hill...  I was still feeling pretty good as I approached the hill, but I knew that could all change as I went up it.  I made a point of taking it easy to not aggravate my calf and instead wanted to focus on getting back up to pace at the top.  Once over the top, I was able to get back on my pace quick. On top of that, I still felt strong. On the gradual decline into mile marker 10 there were some college age spectators with Stella Artois in cans. They offered so I took one. A little carb with my hydration...

Finish Strong

As we headed down Superior Street, I focused on keeping my pace solid. With only a couple miles left, I just needed to stay on my pace and I had a PR in the bag. When I crossed the line, I had a PR of 1:32:49, 7:06 per mile average. Overall it was a good race for me. 

Post Race

With the chilly temps, I did not stick around for too long. Basically I changed, got some snacks and bailed out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment