Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Moutain Biking and Hockey...

Elm Creek Park Reserve Trails

Over the long holiday weekend, I was able to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather.  While in the Twin Cities area I got out and rode the new mountain biking trails at Elm Creek Park Reserve. 

They have three loops that are basically singletrack through the trees with some open field singletrack also.  While in the trees, the majority of the technicality of the trails comes from tight trees and corners with trees.  The advanced loop had a few technical features thrown in that were always optional with a way around them. 

The first time around the loops, I was keeping the speed in check as I was making sure to not hit a tree.  On Friday, I went around half of the intermediate loop and the complete advanced loop twice.  On the second trip around, I was able to hold  little more speed as I was more familiar with the tight spaces and corners. 

On Saturday I was back and did the complete intermediate and advanced loops one time around.  I was able to hold even more speed and I even tried a couple of the technical features.  I tried the half-pipe looking feature and the bridge bypasses with success.  When I tried the final log ramp over a tree branch, my chainring caught when I was at the peak and flipped me over my handlebars.  No damage to the bike and I was fine to keep riding.

All in all, over 25 miles of mountain biking this weekend was a nice way to most likely end my outdoor riding for the year.

Hockey

Since the last time I wrote about hockey, the Wild went on a little bit of a run to the top of the NHL.  They have been playing well during the stretch.  It would be nice if they would start off their games a little stronger, but they are doing a good job of coming from behind.

The Gophers look similar to the start of the year.  They are a little inconsistent.  At times, they look like they are dominating every team they play.  And at other times they cannot seem to get out of their own way.  I really hope this team can continue to work out the kinks so they are ready come playoff time.  They potentially have the pieces to make a good run. 

I will be at the Wild's December 14th contest against the Chicago Blackhawks.  Looking forward to seeing how they are playing in person again.  I might have to make a trip down for a Gopher game at Mariucci some time this winter also.  It has been a couple years since I have been to Mariucci...

No comments:

Post a Comment