Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Northwoods Tri Recap

Summary

So in my pre-race post I noted the following goals:

bike - maintain a 250 watt average
run - run sub 7 min/mile pace
overall - top 10 placement

Check, check, and triple check...

Swim - 7:29 (1:42/100 yard)

The swim was about what I can expect from my swim.  Standard pace for me, and with the small number of folks in the waves minimal contact with other swimmers.  As I hit the shallow water and stood up, I had a little trouble with my wetsuit zipper.  So instead of pulling the suit off in the water I ran to my bike with it on.  Once in T1, I tried to move quickly.  Ditched the wetsuit, threw the helmet on and got my socks and bike shoes on.  Onto the bike...

Bike - 34:37 (24.3 mph)

Once on the bike I had some work to do.  I really wanted to work hard to see if I could still run solid afterwards.  I started off well with only a little trouble getting around some slower traffic in the first couple miles.  After a bit I caught up to another biker that began to leapfrog with me.  He was the only biker to physically pass me while on the bike, and even then I came into T2 before him.  Overall, the second fastest bike split and I was pleased with my effort and average of 269 watts which met my stated goal.  Into T2 I took it a little easier running in trying to make sure my shoe did not clip the ground and cause my bike to bounce around like the last couple races.  It worked and then I tried to quickly ditch the helmet and don the running shoes.  I had a bit of a slip with my left shoe, but on the second try got it and off I went.

Run - 20:32 (6:37 min/mile)

As I went out for the run I tried to count the bikes in transition, and there were not many.  This had me feeling good about the potential for a top 10.  As I hit the extremely flat run course I tried to get a good pace going and hang on from there.  The first mile marker showed a 6:3X on the watch which had me feeling good.  As I approached the turn around I had only counted 5 or 6 runners heading at me.  After that I tried to make sure I was keeping the pace up.  At the second mile marker, I once again saw a 6:3X.  So far so good...  On the last mile, one runner did catch me, but he was from the wave ahead, so no loss of placement if I could keep running strong.  I did start feeling a little bit of a side stitch in the last half mile, but I made it to the finish with no issues.  As I approached the finish line I could see it would be close to come in under 1:05 for a total time.  So I put on a little extra push and hit the line in 1:04:59.  Personal best overall finish time on this course for me.

Overall - 1:04:59 (4th overall, 3rd age group)

Yup, I was in the fast age group.  Fourth overall and barely snagged an age group award...  Overall I was very pleased with the race.  I set a new bar for how hard I can really push on the bike and still be able to run strong for a sprint type event.  Now, I need to put in a few last good workouts prior to Superior Man and nail my taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment