Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

TC 10 Mile; PR or Stupid Mistakes???

Finisher's Medal
This morning I competed in the TC 10 Mile race again.  Last year I came into this race with pretty solid race fitness, and I set my PR on the course by running one of the smartest races I ever have.  In the past, this course has always given me problems and I typically go out way too fast, and then proceed to fall apart on the last five miles.  Last year I ran a 1:13:39.  Earlier this year at the Garry Bjorklund Half, I came through the 10 mile mark in 1:11:24.  Coming into today's race, that was my 10 mile PR.

50 Degrees and Clear Skies...

In other words, the weather was on our side again.  There was a little wind, but it never really felt like it was really pushing against us.  No excuses not to put up a solid time.  My running this summer has gone well so I know I had good enough fitness to run a good time.  The question was could I keep out of my own way and not do anything stupid on the run course that would stop me from running a good time.  I really felt I could get my personal course record, with an outside chance at hitting my 10 mile PR.  In order to do that, I figured I wanted to never see a split higher than 7:10 on my watch other than the third mile (the hill to get up to the Franklin Avenue bridge).  If I managed that, I figured I would have a chance to let gravity do its thing in the final mile and help me hit my PR time.

7:23???

That was the split I saw when I came through mile 6.  Now, mile 6 does not have the worst of the hills and I was just a little pissed at myself.  Especially since I had come through the 5 mile point in 35:16 which had me in good position to that point.  So I made a conscious effort to pick up the pace a little.  So when I saw a 7:12 for mile 7 I was really pissed off at myself.  The rolling nature of the hills on mile 7 were definitely easier than mile 6 and I was not able to get back to my goal of 7:10 or better per mile.  So, the weather was cooperating, my running prep was there, and here I was screwing it up again.  At this point, I had made enough small stupid mistakes on this course that I figured why not throw it all out there and either get my PR or have a really epic failure.  So I really picked it up now.  If my mental math was correct, I needed to hit 7:00 flat for the final three miles to make my PR.  As I was picking it up, I was not feeling too bad.  So when I saw the 6:49 for the next split I was glad to be back on track.  I tried my best to hold the pace for the next mile and hit a 6:51.  I was still feeling pretty good at this point.  On the edge, but I thought I could hold it for another mile.  Of course at this point, I was doing the math to see what would be needed to go under 1:10 so I could actually average sub 7 minute miles.  I could not really do the math so I just ran down the hill towards the Capitol as fast as I could.  As the clock came into view, I could see 1:09:4X and was not sure if I could get to the line in time.  As I crossed the line with a clock reading of 1:10:1X I was a little pissed off.  It really sucks to be that close to a milestone and miss it.  Who knows when the weather and my fitness are going to come together for a great race opportunity.  Then I checked my watch...  1:09:57...  So, my chip time was just under the 1:10 barrier. 

Summary

Overall I ended up pleased with the race.  The more I look at my splits, the more I wonder what the heck I was doing out there.  My splits were all over the place.  Also, the final three miles were all under 7:00 minutes so I clearly could have run a little bit faster than I did.  Oh well.  Be happy with a PR.

One last thing...  Next June I will be taking another shot at the Garry Bjorklund.  I "won" a slot in the random drawing from the Grandma's Minnesota Mile in Duluth a couple weekends ago.  The whole concept of calling the method of giving out slots for the popular races as lotteries is a little bit of a misnomer.  Something tells me Powerball would not be nearly as popular if when you "won" the Powerball you had to pay the lottery $75 and then you now had the privilege to run 10 or 13 miles.
Garry Bjorklund Here I Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment