Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Trail Running Galore

Never checked back in after last week's run at Haw Ridge.  The weather was perfect for a run other than the wind.  I was still getting over a little chest cold so that made it a little hard to really get rolling at a solid speed.  But I was happy to be back out running on a nice trail. 

Roughrider

This week's run was nicknamed Roughrider and has a reputation as the hardest course in the series, when the trail is dry. Of course the rain that started drizzling down early today took care of the dry part. 

We started at 2:00 pm and the course was good and wet by then.  The singletrack start was a little slippery and I managed to not slip off the trail with the help of the trees on the trail.  After a short distance we pop out onto the power lines.  Here is where the fun begins.  A bunch of up down sections that were wet and muddy. 

The trail is an out and back so you got to see what you will be facing later.  This had two disadvantages on a day like today.  First, you know what you will be running up at the end of the race and it festers in the back of your mind.  Second, with the rain and all of the runners going over the trail on the way out, it was even muddier and more slippery on the way back through.

On the way out, I managed to stay up on my two feet the whole way.  There were a couple of spots where I slipped pretty good but I always managed to catch myself and stay upright. 

After tagging the pink turnaround tape, I headed back into the powerlines.  The first up down valley produced my first fall.  I lost my footing and onto my ass I went.  Not too bad, and I was up quickly and kept moving. 

Through the middle section of the trail I tried to preserve a little energy for the tough section on the powerlines I knew was coming and had a few folks cruise by.  As I came out onto the last section on the powerlines I had a few more episodes of planting my ass on the trail.  On one of the sections, I tripped and went head first into the brush.  Luckily I did not slip too far, but when I caught myself my thumb jammed a little. 

On the next downhill, I had a couple slips with one providing me with a very quick 50 foot drop on my ass.  I did however allow me to catch back up to another runner who had passed me earlier.  That is not worth noting, other than when he passed me on the outbound leg he heckled me telling me to "quit running like a girl" and then telling me to run faster.  At the time he was ahead of all of the ladies running and passing me.  However, karma slapped him upside the head and he finished behind two ladies and me.  So, note to everyone: if you feel it is necessary to talk shit to other runners, don't let your mouth write checks your legs cannot cash.  On top of that, if you are a middle of the pack runner, making a comment about running like a girl (many of whom finish in front of you...) is not the best smacktalk to be using.

I worked my way back up the singletrack that seemed tougher than what it was on the way out, and then finished up.  After finishing it was amusing to watch everyone come through to finish and see the huge mud streaks on everyone's legs and butts.  There were very few people who were finishing without a large mud stripe somewhere. 

Next Sunday we get to try out the ski trails at Lester.  I have run the trails a few times this summer.  Not sure the exact route we will follow, but I am looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment